Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Cheesy Broccoli & Cauliflower Soup


I love fall for so many different reasons, bonfires, pumpkin everything, football games, boots & scarves..... and SOUP! I used to think that soup making was some sort of magic that I would probably never master. That theory couldn't have been farther from the truth! As soon as I learned the basic ingredients, the sky was the limit. My #1 go to soup recipe is this cheesy broccoli & cauliflower. Try it and let me know what you like to add to it!

Ingredients:
1/4 C. finely chopped onions
1 1/2 cups broccoli (chopped)
1 1/2 cups cauliflower
1 potato
2 1/2 chicken broth
14 oz can of evaporated milk
1 C cheddar cheese
Salt & Pepper to taste
flour or cornstarch to thicken

I'm normally in a bit of a hurry while cooking dinner, so I like to give my potato a little head start by microwaving it for 30-45 seconds or so depending on the size. Turn your burner on med-high heat. In your pan, add a small amount of oil and your chopped onions. Cook until browned. 
Add broccoli, cauliflower, diced potato and chicken broth; cook until veggies are soft. 
In a separate bowl, mix your flour or cornstarch with a touch of cold water, add the thickener to your soup until you reach the desired consistency. It will thicken as it heats, so be careful not to add it too quickly (you may end up with paste instead of soup)  :)
Add your can of evaporated milk, salt & pepper, and grated cheese

I always serve soup with some form of bread for dipping! Enjoy
-Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment